The whirligig beetles
reviewed and supplemented by R. Roughley, August 1992
- D. americanus (Linnaeus), FL (MON), Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Cuba, St. Thomas, St. John, Guadeloupe, Haiti; Wood (1962: 77) states that this taxon is known only from the Bahamas and Florida. However, here are added the Carribean records of D. metallicus Aubé (which is a junior synonym of D. americanus L.) from Ochs (1924: 4-5) and Ochs (1938: 86-87).
- D. angustus LeConte, GA, AL, FL (ALA, BAY, CLA, COLU, JAC, LIB, LEO, ORA, SRO)
- D. carolinus carolinus LeConte, TX-IL, MO-NC, FL (ALA, BAK, BAY, CAL, CIT, CLA, COLL, COLU, DAD, DES, ESC, JAC, JEFF, LEE, LEO, LEV, LIB, HIL, MAD, MAN, MON, PIN, POL, PUT, SEM, SRO, SJO, VOL, WAK, WAL, WAS), Bahamas, Mexico; Young (1954: 147) suggests that the form found in southern Florida and in the Keys may be the subspecies D. carolinus mutchleri Ochs described from the Bahamas. The list of counties given here at least potentially includes both subspecies and intermediates --"In northern Florida and southern Georgia the species is more variable, and this may indicate intergradation of a peninsular race with the typical form". (Young 1954: 147).
- D. ciliatus (Forsberg), TX, KS-MO, NY, MA-FL (BAY, CAL, GAD, LEO, SRO, WAL)
- D. discolor Aubé, TX, ON-PQ, MA, FL (BAY, GAD, HOL, JAC, LEO, LIB, MARI, PUT, SRO, PUT, WAL), Mexico
- D. emarginatus emarginatus (Say), TX, MI-NH, FL
- D. emarginatus floridensis Ochs, FL endemic (ALA, BAY, HIL, LAK, LEO, OKE, PUT, WAS)
- D. nigrior Roberts, ND, MB-NS, FL (HER, VOL)
- D. productus Roberts, TX, LA-IL, FL (LIB), Mexico; Wood (1962: 64) reports that Young's (1954) record of this species from Florida is doubtful and Wood restricts the U.S. distribution to eastern Texas.
- D. serrulatus serrulatus LeConte, TX, IL, IN-AL, FL (ESC, SRO)
- D. serrulatus X analis (author), AL, FL (CAL, SRO, WAL)
- D. serrulatus analis Régimbart, GA, FL (ALA, BAY, CIT, COLL, FRAN, GAD, GUL, HAM, HEN, HIL, HOL, JAC, LEO, LEV, LIB, MARI, OKE, ORA, OSC, POL, PUT, SJO, VOL, WAK)
- G. iricolor Young, FL endemic (HOL)
Gyrinus O.F. Müller: Dr. Sule Oygur Fischl, Department of Entomology, AMNH, provided unpublished county records for species of Gyrinus and a discussion of use of older names. The names G. limbatus, G. minutus (F.), G. pernitidus LeConte, and G. pectoralis LeConte have been recorded in error from Florida.
- G. analis Say, TX, MN-NY, FL (ALA, BAY, CAL, ESC, GIL, GUL, HAM, HOL, JAC, LEV, LIB, OKA, ORA, SUW, WAL, WAS)
- G. elevatus LeConte, TX, GA-FL (ALA, BRE, BRO, CLA, COLL, COLU, DAD, FLAG, FRA, GLA, HEN, HIG, HIL, IND, JAC, JEFF, LEV, MARI, OKE, ORA, PAL, PAS, PIN, POL, PUT, SJO, SLU, WAK)
- G. gibber LeConte, LA, MN-NB, FL (ALA, CAL, HIL, LIB, ORA, SUW)
- G. pachysomus Fall, TX, NC-FL (ALA, CAL, CLA, COLU, DUV, GUL, LEO, LIB, SJO, SUW, TAY, WAK)
- G. parcus Say, TX, ND-IN, FL (MAR), Mexico, CAmer, SAmer; This species occurs from North Dakota south to Chile; however, the Florida record from Marion Co. needs to be confirmed as the nearest other records are from Indiana and Texas.
- G. rockinghamensis LeConte, MA-AL, FL (ALA, BAK, DUV, ESC, GUL, HIL, LEV, LIB, ORA, OSC, PAS, PUT, SEM, SJO, TAY, VOL)
- G. woodruffi Fall, TX, NY-FL (CIT, CLA, HIG, HOL, LEV, LIB, OSC, PUT, SLU, SRO, SUW, WAL, WAS)
Return to Family List