The burrowing water beetles
reviewed and supplemented by R. Roughley, August 1992; checked by J.H. Epler, December 1995
- H. atripennis Say, IL, IN-TX, FL: Young (1985: 97) implies that this species is found in Florida but does not give any specific county records.
- H. oblongus Sharp, NC, LA, FL (GAD, most counties), Cuba, Bahamas
- H. regius Young, GA, FL (ALA, BRO, DAD, DES, DUV, GLA, HEN, HER, HIG, LEO, LAK, MAD, MARI, MON, OKE, PAL, PIN, PUT, SLU, TAY)
- N. nanulus (LeConte), LA, GA, FL (ALA, GLA, HIG, LIB, PAS, PIN, POL, PUT)
- N. sharpi J. Balfour-Browne, FL (MON), Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Virgin Islands, Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica
- M. addendus (Blatchley), FL (DAD, HIG, PIN, VOL), ?Cuba
- P. semipunctatus (LeConte), MI-FL (CIT, DAD, HIG, LEE)
= Colpius LeConte, 1861 was placed as a junior subjective synonym of Suphis Aubé, 1836 by Spangler and Folkerts (1973).
- S. inflatus (LeConte), LA, AL-SC, FL (ALA, BRO, CAL, DAD, DUV, GIL, HEN, HIG, HIL, LAK, JEFF, LEE, OKE, OSC, PAL, PIN, PUT, SJO, TAY, VOL), Cuba
- S. gibbulus (Aubé), AL, GA, SC, FL (ALA, BAK, BAY, BRE, BRO, CAL, CIT, CLA, COLL, COLU, DAD, FRA, GAD, GIL, HAM, HAR, HEN, HER, HIG, HIL, IND, JAC, JEF, LAF, LAK, LEE, LEO, LEV, LIB, MAD, MARI, MART, OKA, OKE, OSC, PAL, PIN, POL, PUT, SJO, SLU, SEM, SUM, TAY, VOL, WAL, WAS). According to Young (1979: 426) the records of S. punctipennis (Sharp)? provided by Young (1954) belong to S. gibbulus. Suphisellus punctipennis is a subspecies of S. bicolor, which does not occur in Florida.
- S. insularis (Sharp), FL (ALA, BRO, COLL, DAD, GLA, HIG, LAK, MART, OSC, PAL, PIN, SAR, SLU, VOL), Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Puerto Rico
= S. floridanus (Blatchley), Young (1979: 422). According to Young (1953: 115) the type locality of S. floridanus (Blatchley) on Lake Okeechobee is near the present site of Pahokee, Palm Beach Co.
- S. parsonsi Young, GA, FL (HIG, LIB, OKA, WAL)
- S. puncticollis Crotch, ON, IN-GA, FL (ALA, BAK, BRO, COLL, DAD, GIL, GLA, HIG, JAC, JEFF, LAK, LEE, LEV, PUT, MARI, MON)
Return to Family List